Wednesday 17 August 2011

Making Terrain - Lombardy Poplar Trees #1

So I've been wanting to make some trees out of an artificial Christmas Tree and I finally found one out on the street... sweet.  After looking at the shape of the stems I've decided to make 'The Lombardy Poplar' seen mostly in Britain and Ireland.  It's height ranges 66' to 98 so to make it to scale (1" = 6') they need to measure 11" to 16".  Also its truck diameter is 5' so thats rought 7/8" for the truck.  Wow thats thick.  Unfortunately the longest stems I have measure 9" so that will have to do.  To go with the shorter tree and I'll reduce the truck size to 1/2".  I'll get back to the taller trees with the branches from the top of the Christmas tree... they're really long.

After fiddling around, the base I'm using is a Poker Chip followed by a Fender Washer.  Reason being once I thread the tree thru the poker chip its not going to be sitting flush on the table so the Washer will sit below leaving room for the stem.

So that's where I am so far.  I need to take more green stuff off to show the tree stem.

No comments:

Post a Comment